screen |skr_n| |skrin| |skri_n| noun • a blank, typically white or silver surface on which a photographic image is projected : the world's largest movie screen • movies or television; the motion-picture industry : she's a star of the stage as well as the screen. verb [ trans. ] • protect (someone) from something dangerous or unpleasant • evaluate or analyze (something) for its suitability for a particular purpose or application


Thursday, November 11, 2021

The Power of the Dog

**  SPOILERS **

I wanted to like this Jane Campion, dusty cowboy melodrama a lot more than I did. It has everything going for it. A great cast, beautiful scenery, top-notch sets and designs. I regret to say it, but there were several times during the show that I thought, “Why am I watching this?” My back started to hurt, which is always a bad sign. It’s one of those movies where the main character has a secret. If you’re paying attention, you can figure out the secret, but otherwise you’re waiting for the character to reveal the secret. And it takes a while. I think this kind of story convention works better in a novel. Lots of people, better than I am, will probably like this. But I just found it shrug-worthy.

1 comment: