screen |skr_n| |skrin| |skri_n| noun • a blank, typically white or silver surface on which a photographic image is projected : the world's largest movie screen • movies or television; the motion-picture industry : she's a star of the stage as well as the screen. verb [ trans. ] • protect (someone) from something dangerous or unpleasant • evaluate or analyze (something) for its suitability for a particular purpose or application


Thursday, January 22, 2009

Che

A mosaic of dramatic episodes from the life of Ernesto Guevara expertly filmed by Steven Soderbergh and company. Benicio Del Toro embodies his revolutionary character admirably and the battle sequences were stark and suspenseful. The movie takes great pains to not have a strong opinion one way or the other about the politics of Che. Unfortunately, this impairs the emotional punch of our hero’s journey. I almost always felt like an observer and never a participant in his struggle. The “war is futile” theme becomes strong in part 2. Che’s goals become foggy and it’s frustrating and sad to watch so much shooting for what appears to be no real reason. (They claim to be fighting for oppressed miners who we never see.) That’s clearly the point. And the summary of Che’s life, or the parts depicted in this movie, makes me wonder what it is exactly that would warrant buying the t-shirt. I suppose it’s the power of the people taking over the government for themselves? Please correct me if I’m wrong.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:19 AM

    I completely agree. Though I've only seen part 1, this film left me wondering who this guy was and why we should care. I never really knew what was at stake, why he was so controversial, or why people found him charismatic. I was hoping to come away having learnt a great deal about this revolutionary leader - sadly, I was left even more in the dark.

    ReplyDelete