screen |skr_n| |skrin| |skri_n| noun • a blank, typically white or silver surface on which a photographic image is projected : the world's largest movie screen • movies or television; the motion-picture industry : she's a star of the stage as well as the screen. verb [ trans. ] • protect (someone) from something dangerous or unpleasant • evaluate or analyze (something) for its suitability for a particular purpose or application
Sunday, August 23, 2026
Teenage Sex and Death at Camp Miasma
You have to hand it to the filmmakers for attempting to remake Mulholland Drive. Homages abound, although this version supposedly has a happy ending. The only way a self-aware slasher like this would work is if the actors are fully on board with the reality-bending/wish-fulfillment nuttiness, and Hannah Einbinder and Gillian Anderson are in it to win it. They need to be when the metaphors start coming in hot and heavy-handed. You see: it turns out that (spoiler alert) sometimes horror movies correlate sex with violence. And so the movie is not saying that rape is okay as long as it leads to an orgasm, because that would just be weird, right? I'm sure there's a deeper, Lynchian subtext there that I'm just missing. Anyhoo, I'm glad this movie got made, and I'm happy for the filmmakers for getting something dark and morally fluid out to the common people. But if you want to cook like Lynch, it's more than just following a recipe.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment